The London Transport Museum or known also as the LT Museum is operated from two of its sites one in Covent Garden and the other is Acton. These museums seek to preserve and conserve the heritage of transportation of the United Kingdoms capital city.
Museum at Covent Garden
The Covent Garden was situated in a Victorian glass and iron building, which has originally formed the Vegetable, flower and fruit market in the Covent Garden. The construction was planned by William Rogers in the year 1871 and was dedicated only to be a flower market. The position of this museum is situated between Tavistock Street, Willington Street, Russell Street and toward the east side of the former market square. In the year 1980 the London Transport Museum occupied the building as immediately as the market moved away in the twelvemonth 1971. The earliest collections of the LT MUseum at London was settled in the Syon Park since the year 1973 while it previously formed the character of the British Transport Museum at Clapham. The Museum closed down for a major refurbishment with the price of £22 million. The Museum’s designers was recreated by Bryan Avery of Avery Associates as they have enabled to extend the display collection, which covers a larger section of the Transport for London that administrate all forms of public transportation of London. Later on the transformation of the museum was again opened to the public on 22 November 2007 that includes enhanced educational facilities, and its entrance is from the Covent Garden Piazza.
Museum at Acton
Situated in Acton towards the west of London is the The Museum Depot that was opened in October 1999, this depot hold the most of the museum’s collection of which are not shown on display at the museum in Covent Garden. The museum’s custodian and conservators, this Museum depot is able to accommodate displays which are too large to fit fit in the main facility in Covent Garden. The area of the depot is about 6000 square meters that are environmentally and securely controlled while displaying over 370,000 exhibits of all types. Holding both the rail and the road access the museum at Acton has a rail connection to the London Underground network that allows this spacious area to store and exhibit with an ample number of trams, buses, engines, trolleybuses, wagons, railroad cars, coaches, locomotives and other such vehicles. Though the Museum is not regularly opened to the public, it still is equipped to accommodate visitors that includes a shop and a ticket office along with other necessary visitor facilities. The museums exhibition is displayed to public on special events such as themed exhibits which are open on weekends and mostly two or three time a year and can be reached easily from the Acton Town tube station.
The Collection of the Museum
The London General Omnibus Company or abbreviated as the LGOC was the first to take in the initial solicitation of the museum at the start of the 20th century as it commenced to protect and care for the buses from being retired of their servings. After the London General Omnibus Company was overtaken by the London Electric Railway or abbreviated as the LER, the museums collection was grown by including the rail vehicles and further grew more in size when the London Electric Railway was taken over by the London Passenger Transport Board during the 1930’s but the organization theafter changed its name to many different successor bodies to become the Transport for London or abbreviated as the TfL, finally becoming the present transport authority. The collection was housed in a number of homes initially being a part of the Museum of British Transport in an unused tram depot at Clapham High Street from 1963 to 1972 by which the depot transformed into a supermarket. Then later the museum was housed in the Syno Park at Brentford from the year 1973 to the year 1977, when it finally was shifted in 1980 to the Covent Garden. But most of the exhibition items were transferred to the York to the National Railway Museum on its formation in the year 1975. The museum at the Covent Garden did not have many displays such as the trams, busses, trolleybuses, and the rail vehicles from the 19th century and 20century which included the exhibits and artifacts that relates to marketing and operation of the passenger services and exhibits that have related to the transport networks impact on the city along with its population. the extension of the London Transport Museum which is held at Acton depot houses early locomotives that have first surfaced and also included a full display of the 1938 tube train and Londons first deep-level lines.
The London Transport Museum has a shop which sells a variety of reproduction models, posters, souvenirs and gifts that can be found online as well at the Covent Garden, as these profits from the sales support the museum’s activities. the year 2012 saw the museum selling the luggage racks from the retired Metropolitan Line trains.
Refuel you self
The Museum has two café bars known as The Upper Deck café bar and the Lower Deck café bar are the places where you can relax a refresh yourself while you can view the Piazza in the Covent Garden, in addition to the two café bars is The London Transport Museum’s small picnic place within the building for visitors to eat their packed meals, snacks or lunches.
London Transport Museum
Covent Garden Piazza,
London WC2E 7BB,